16. January 2012 22:35
There are many reasons why people decide to host their web projects on notebooks. Either way, the question is not why, but how. Like everywhere else, there are pros and cons in hosting of your web application on notebook hardware, so we are going to discuss here how to do it properly and get most out of it.
Possible reasons to host your web server on a notebook
Usually people think about hosting on notebook, for one or many of these reasons:
- The price of hosting is higher than expected revenue, or no profit is expected.
- There are less than 1000 users expected to use this web project.
- The web application is not consuming much of resources.
- Notebook is powerful enough.
- You can’t sell this old notebook, but also don’t want to refurbish it, as it is still working as designed. And now you have this web project of yours that needs cheap hosting.
- Your internet connection is fast and reliable and you see no reason or have no resources to acquire new hardware and data center (DC) allocation.
- You want to host the web application on-site but want to keep your electricity bill at minimum.
- You have to make your server mobile.
18. December 2011 22:00
This is a story about me choosing the notebook for maintaining this blog.
Usually I am writing about something related to technologies which I am either exploring or training. Sometimes it’s about non-technological parts of the training or lifestyle. Something that consumed considerable amount of time to learn or get to. I’m sort of showing a shortcut to others and we usually call it “sharing of knowledge and experience”.
Since I am very serious about keeping my blog to be a useful and creative place, I decided to devote more time to it – especially the time when I am most mentally capable. And during that time I am usually far from my main 17” laptop – heavy powerful gaming-class machine which is theoretically portable.
So I made a decision to purchase a laptop especially for blogging. Taking into account that this blog doesn’t bring any income – pretty much enthusiastic move. But however, I’ve started with research. More...